Friday, August 8, 2008

Buy Local

One of the easiest ways to green our environment is to buy our food from local sources. The cost of transporting food across America is staggering. An example of this is California winter lettuce. East coasters pay to have the privilege of having fresh lettuce while enduring the drudgery of our long winters. I know I am guilty of this practice. This winter I will not buy it. There are many alternative foods to enjoy until we can once again enjoy local produce. I have made a point of buying local produce from area farmstands. Nothing beats fresh corn on the cob picked in the morning and eaten the same day. New York Local Food Directories is a great resource for information on local foods in my home state. There are links for other locales as well.

No comments: